Friday, August 17, 2007

Sideways

Mystic Worlds has another excellent post about desired added WoW features, but reading it reminded me that I said I'd post on horizontal improvements I'd like to see in WoW.

Heroic versions of Azeroth instances. Seriously, this is a no-brainer. You would not be able to pry me out of Deadmines or Strathholme (although Strat would be a real b*tch due to the crowds of adds...tons o' fun for a tank!) or any number of my favorite old-world instances.

Scaling instances.
Building on the last idea while recognizing the huge scope of work I'm asking for, I'd like to see instances that scale up. Every instance could retain its original starting level, but it'd be nice to see ten-level plus-ups to difficulty. So say Instance X is designed for 5 level-40 players, there would be level 49, 59, 69, and heroic versions available.

Scaling equipment.
MMORPGs are enjoyable in part because of the feeling of progression and improvement. A major failing in their catering to this feeling is the failure of the current progression system to foster and reward attachments to hard-to-get items. I would have *loved* to keep my Soul Harvester, but doing so would have gimped me, so I gave it up when the next item dropped. WoW should take a page from tabletop DnD and let you pay or quest to improve your existing items through stacking, level-restricted enhancements. Come on, Sulfuras? You have to find a way to let people keep using that. Things that you wrest from iconic lore characters should stay usable as you level...let us spend resources to keep these things in the fight!

Player housing. MW has this covered, so I won't go into it here.

Fix my "end-game" pets. I continue to pine away for a usable Infernal or Doomguard, but I'm not holding my breath.

As I said earlier, I'm not a fan of raising the level cap...I'd much rather have more content that brings Azeroth back into the game at max level.

No comments: