Tuesday, August 21, 2007

@#$%&*!!

My 5v5 teammates were no-shows...again.

I've been pretty nice about this. I sent two reminders via in-game mail this week to team members. I've asked people to please let me know if they can't make it. And I sent notes to last week's no-shows politely letting them know that if they can't make it, we might need to make room for more regular attendees.

When I log on again on Wednesday night, half of these people are getting the boot.

I'm not happy about it...we had a really good run of wins once we got the right mix of people together. The problem is that the run was more than two weeks ago. Since then, no one has shown up for scheduled games.

It's not like I didn't do due diligence before recruiting, either. I asked them point-blank: "Can you make it at 6:30 p.m. server time on Monday?" and only after they say "yes" did they get invites. Then they got two reminders via in-game mail.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to get better attendance, or on how to week out deadbeats?

EDIT: Okay, rant over. I will probably not go around kicking people. But I could use your advice on how to get people to actually show up.

4 comments:

Silvenus said...

If the potential for Arena loot doesn't make them show up, I'm not sure what will. :-/

Derrick Crowe said...

/cry, /agree, /whimper

Keystone said...

Do you have a full 10-man roster?

We have 2x of each class, with one being the starter. If both players are online, then the starter gets first dibs on games. If the starter doesn't show, the backup usually is there to fill in.

We don't guarantee points to second stringers, but we will move them up to first string if the starter is inconsistent with time tables.

I would also recommend setting more than just one time during the week, especially one the night before ratings are tallied, and points are distributed.

If you set your scheduled time for Friday, for example, it leaves you make-up time throughout the weekend if Friday falls through.

Derrick Crowe said...

We do have a full ten man roster, weighted towards having MS warriors and healers at the ready, since the off healer and other DPS slots are pretty interchangeable. You're right about the schedule, though...