Tuesday, July 24, 2007

A Question for the Masses

This week I will pass for the first time into the fun realm of "I can now afford some Arena gear." I'm facing a fun dilemma: do I buy the first armor pieces I can afford (the gloves, shoulders, etc.) or save up all my points for a couple more weeks and go for the best pieces first (legs, head, chest, etc.)?

The horns of the dilemma:

1) If I buy the cheaper items first, I'm significantly improving my stats faster. That means I win more often earlier, which contributes to higher lifetime points...right?

BUT

2) Our guild (hell, our server) is nowhere near the progression needed to see the higher end pieces, so saving up for the chest piece and the like makes sense. Plus, we *are* in the areas where the smaller pieces drop, and it's possible that I could buy the gloves only to have their PvE equivalents drop on my very next raid.

Right now I'm inclined to lean towards #1. I'm relatively new in my guild, which means that if any other casters want the pieces that drop ahead of me, they will get them. And, improving my stats rapidly means that I will fare better, especially as we're fighting to get our teams into the higher brackets.

What do you think?

EDIT: I think I just answered my own question...the math looks like I should go with #2 (edit...good lord i had #1...Durthoo suggested #2) as suggested by Jedi master Durthoo. The reason being is that the stat increase I would get by saving up for a couple of more weeks for the chest piece is more than twice what I'd get for the lower pieces, but it would be far less than twice the wait...

3 comments:

megan said...

Hope this gets to you in time, but the 4 piece bonus for Season 2 (per PTR) is superior to Season 1's bonus, this might affect the choices you make---Season 1 is "cheaper" but Season 2 has longevity with -0.2 sec off Fear.

megan said...

..and I just reread your post more carefully after clicking off my blonde debuff icon, so NVM about my previous comment. :p

I'd say go for Gloves (bonus), Shoulders (+35 res bonus), Helm (meta), Chest (superior stat piece and 4 set bonus) in that order.

Derrick Crowe said...

Hmmmmmmm interesting! I haven't bought anything yet because I'm pondering...and I play my Arena matches at the end of the week, so I have a few days to think about it...

I'm going to look so silly in a helm with my Warp-Infused Drape...like a parade marshal wearing a Darth Vader mask hehe.

Blog Archive