Tuesday, June 19, 2007

VOIP and WoW and U

Wired reports on Ventrilo and how it changes the social interaction on WoW. I am mixed on this, as is the author. I would *love* to be able to Ventrilo (if Full House could get a Mac-enabled server coughcough) so that my fingers could be more free for PvP combat. Even when I'm up late next to Laurie, it would make coordination so much easier if I could listen instead of reading text during battles.

However, I totally grant the author's point: part of the fun of WoW is that everything that ranks us in a social hierarchy outside the game is nullified, and we are free to rebuild social links and hierarchies based solely on the parts of ourselves we put forth on the game. Voice chat throws a lot of that out the window.

So...Full House...a Mac driver...yeah...

No comments:

Blog Archive