Thursday, June 21, 2007

Thanks for Tuning In

I am glad they took out the crazy attunement requirements, but I'm not passionate either way.

For one, I enjoy questing, and once you hit level 70, the instances you have access to are the real reward you get as you progress versus the experience reward pre-70. So to a certain extent, your attunements constitute your "leveling" as you get deeper into the endgame.

But...I am also a (unwilling) casual gamer. I play like crazy on days/nights where I have time, but those are few and far between. My erratic schedule of short sessions and the two long weekend sessions means that the only real option for gearing up at a reasonable rate is PvP. Those two factors also mean that I would likely never see the really amazing endgame content like Serpentshrine had the attunement requirements not been removed.

Tobald said (before he quit)
Imagine you plan to go to a cinema to see Spiderman 3, and the guy at the door doesn't let you in because you don't have the ticket stubs proving you have seen Spiderman 1 and 2. Sounds ridiculous? Then why do we accept this sort of thing for our MMORPG end-game?
I agree with that. Video games are one of the few modes of entertainment where we accept this kind of restraint. I also think these kinds of restrictions fall into the realm of "railroad plot" that I hate in pen-and-paper RPGs.

So eh...see you in the corpse pile at SSC.

No comments:

Blog Archive